HIPAA and FERPA Privacy and Security Training for School Counselor Supervisors
Welcome to Kate Walker Training Online Courses!
If you are interested in learning more about confidentiality for counselors, especially as it pertains to HIPAA and FERPA, you have come to the right place. Much of the content for this course is FREE and open source. You may watch videos, search the internet, read textbook chapters, or take short surveys.
Rest assured ALL of the courses offered through Kate Walker Training are rigorously reviewed and held to the highest standards. We ensure:
- All of our courses are related to the practice of professional counseling.
- All of our courses are delivered and/or designed by fully licensed individuals with the necessary experience and knowledge in the topic(s) presented.
- At the end of each course we provide participants with a mechanism for evaluating each continuing education activity.
- At our live courses we verify attendance.
- We provide participants with a letter or certificate of attendance displaying the licensee’s name, topic covered, date course was taken, and hours of credit earned.
- We keep your record of attendance on file for six years (or more).
- Review the basics of Protected Health Information (PHI), Sole Possessory Records, and Sensitive Information
- Explore safeguards to protected sensitive information
- Investigate best practices for counselors to handle sensitive information
Target Audience of Course
- Texas Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC) and LPC Supervisors (LPC-S)
- Texas Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT) and LMFT Supervisors
- Other Mental Health Professionals (check your state licensing board for CEU credit)
This is an advanced course for licensed mental health providers and licensed mental health supervisors with a master’s or doctoral degree in counseling.
Participants completing this two-hour course will be able to:
- Understand the importance of protecting sensitive information
- Articulate the similarities and differences between HIPAA and FERPA
- Incorporate recommended best practices into daily work with sensitive information
Continuing Education Information
If you need documentation for continuing education, then you will need to purchase this course to access the online quiz. If you pass the quiz with 70% or better you will be able to download the certificate. You can only re-take the course and quiz once, so prepare carefully.
This course provides two hours of continuing education in a home study format. Home study course hours are calculated via written text (6000 words = one hour) and video (one hour = one hour).
- Texas LPC/LMFT Supervisor Training
- Texas LPC/LMFT Supervisor Continuing Education
LPC §681.147 (3) 40-Clock-Hour Supervisor Training Course ethical, legal, and professional issues for at least 12 clock-hours, covering roles for supervision and standards of practice, Subchapter B of this title (relating to Authorized Counseling Methods and Practices), §681.92 of this title (relating to Experience Requirements (Internship), and §681.93 of this title (relating to Supervisor Requirements), other codes of ethics, and ethical and legal dilemmas. §681.141(c) (1) A licensee must complete at least four hours of continuing education in ethics, twoof which must be directly related to Texas LPC ethics, each renewal period.
LMFT §801.143 (a)(1)(b) Supervisor Requirements a 40-hour continuing education course in clinical supervision §801.263 All licensees are required to complete 6 hours of ethics each renewal period.
Kate Walker Training LLC provides continuing education for mental health providers. Always check with your licensing board before purchasing a course for CE documentation.
The online training is currently available in English only. It is delivered via audible narration and visual text.
- Lectures 3
- Quizzes 1
- Duration You have 90 days to complete this course
- Skill level Advanced
- Language English
- Students 17
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self
- HIPAA and FERPA Privacy and Security Training for Counselors: Module 1 Overview
- HIPAA and FERPA Privacy and Security Training for Counselors Module 2
- HIPAA and FERPA Privacy and Security Training for Counselors Module 3
- 15 Questions for HIPAA and FERPA Privacy and Security Training for Counselors 2019