Welcome and Syllabus 1
Welcome to the course!
Module 1 2
Module 2 2
Module 3 2
Module 4 2
Module 5 2
Module 6 1
Certified Supervisor Instructor Course Syllabus
Kate Walker Ph.D., LPC, LMFT
Continuing education is provided through achievebalance.org LPC Provider, LMFT #246, Social Work #6851.
- This home study also meets the requirements for Texas LPC and LMFT supervisor continuing education.
- This course must be completed in 90 days. The 90-day time period begins when you complete your purchase.
- This six-hour course is delivered in a home study format. Hours are calculated via written text (6000 words = one hour) and video (one hour = one hour).
Email to submit your work: email@example.com
Email to contact support: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Introduce ‘edupreneur’ best practices: This strange word is rooted in two skills you must have to be a successful supervisor trainer: Educator and Entrepreneur. Dr. Walker takes you through the essential elements you’ll need to tackle both roles.
- Define compliant content: Do you know the laws regarding the license you will teach your participants to supervise? Many license regulations require you to include particular content in your training to become a mental health supervisor. Dr. Walker uses the Texas Licensed Professional Counselor rules to show you exactly what compliant content must look like.
- Explore teaching: When was the last time you were in front of a classroom? Dr. Walker explores the basics of using the adult learning model to engage your participants for the entire 40 hours.
- Help you create content that protects Participants, Interns, Clients, and YOU: Training your participants to provide clinical supervision just isn’t enough. Dr. Walker teaches specific content we believe is vital in order to make sure you have done all you can to protect your Participants, their future Interns, the Clients who will be seen by those interns, and of course YOU and your license.
- Provide updated tools and systems: Decide where you will host your training, what materials and equipment you will need, when you will have it, and how to manage it all once participants arrive. This lesson will also cover how to advertise, write engaging content, and develop a reliable system to manage participant information and handle purchases.
Participants completing this 6 hour course will be able to:
- Understand the need for organizational systems and a business model when providing continuing education
- Articulate the components of compliant content that protects participants, their future Interns, the clients who will be seen by those interns, and your license
- Integrate and apply elements of the adult learning model based on participant needs
- Incorporate techniques and strategies that reflect their own personality while delivering a rigorous course to licensed counselors hoping to become counselor supervisors.
- Decide on tools to make their course manageable and gain access to course materials including an instructor manual, participant power points and a syllabus template.
IMPORTANT Information Regarding Assignments
We realize how important it is to spend time gaining confidence before providing a course like this. The CSI Course is so much more than reading content and taking a quiz. Please keep in mind:
- This course is completely on your own. There is NO face to face or webcam portion.
- You have 90 days from the date of purchase to complete this course.
- This course is designed to be comparable to post-graduate level supervision courses. All papers, projects, and quizzes must be completed successfully in order to receive a certificate of completion.
- Instructors have ten days to process your assignments so plan accordingly.
To successfully complete this rigorous six hour course you will:
- Create a Mock Lesson – 2 Hours
- Watch 6 video lessons – 2 Hours
- Write a reflection paper “My 40 Hour Training” – 1 Hour
- Take short exams over video content – 1 Hour
Create a five-slide slide show (using Power Point, Prezi, or similar) covering one of the content areas suggested in Lesson 3. If you decide to present different content, please email email@example.com for approval. Video yourself presenting the lesson to some volunteer participants. You do NOT have to purchase expensive software. The video function on your phone should suffice. Your successful presentation will:
- Thoroughly cover the topic
- Last no more than 20 minutes
- Contain no more than five slides
- Incorporate an experiential component and actively engage your learners
Regardless of how you produce it, you must create a video where I can hear your voice presenting and your participants participating. You will turn in the link to the video to me via email, share using Dropbox or Google docs (or similar), or upload to You Tube (unlisted or private setting) and share the link with me. You will email your powerpoint to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*If you are a professional or retired Ph.D. counselor educator you will NOT do this assignment. Simply email your credential and work setting to email@example.com and you will be given an alternate assignment.
Reflections are based on your thoughts and opinions and do not require citations or APA formatting. Full credit will be awarded only if reflection papers are:
- 5 pages plus one paragraph in length, double-spaced, 12 pt., Times New Roman font
- Your thoughts and opinions and NOT a summary of the reading, article, or video
- Address at least three of the following:
- One thing that excites me about teaching the forty hour training
- One thing that scares me about teaching the forty hour training
- I have one or two burning questions……
- Something I want to incorporate into my training that really reflects my personality is…..
- I’m not good at_____________so I know I will need __________________
- I’m really good at________________and here is how I will incorporate it into my training…
Email your completed reflection to firstname.lastname@example.org
Video lessons with exams
- Edupreneur Best Practices:This strange word is rooted in two skills you must have to be a successful supervisor trainer: Educator and Entrepreneur. This lesson takes you through the essential elements you’ll need to tackle both roles.
- Create Compliant Content: Do you know the laws regarding the license you will teach your participants to supervise? Many license regulations require you to include particular content in your training to become a mental health supervisor. We use the Texas Licensed Professional Counselor rules to show you exactly what compliant content must look like. This is where you will write your reflection paper so allow extra time for instructor feedback.
- Teaching 101: When was the last time you were in front of a classroom? This module is where things get real. You will need to recruit two or three volunteers who will serve as your class while you deliver and video a mock 20 – 30 minute lesson. After you email your assignment to email@example.com an instructor will get back with you to provide feedback and answer questions. Are you a Ph.D. Professional Counselor Educator? Email us your credential and we will give you an alternate assignment.
- PIC-YOU: Create content that protects Participants, Interns, Clients, and YOU:Training your participants to provide clinical supervision just isn’t enough. This module takes you through content we believe is vital in order to make sure you have done all you can to protect your Participants, their future Interns, the Clients who will be seen by those interns, and of course YOU and your license.
- Get Ready for the Big Day: Have you ever hosted an event? Welcome to your party! It’s time to decide where you will host your training, what materials and equipment you will need, when you will have it, who you will invite, and how to manage it all once they arrive. Not only that, but every great party starts with an invitation so that means you must advertise, write engaging content, and develop a reliable system to manage participant information and handle purchases.
- The Toolkit:This final module walks you through the tools we use to make this course manageable. Once you complete this portion you will have access to even MORE course materials including a syllabus template.