2021 Supervisory Relationship and Counselor Development is a program designed to help participants review well-established counseling theories principles and techniques of counseling and their application in the supervisor-trainee relationship. In addition, this program will provide participants with an advanced understanding of the needs of mental health trainees under various circumstances and at different developmental levels so participants can successfully maintain the supervisor-trainee relationship and demonstrate that understanding by passing a quiz.
When you click ‘Buy this Course’ and complete your purchase, you will have immediate access to the course. Simply log in to your Kate Walker Training account and your course will appear in your profile.
Program Learning Objectives
The program content will:
- Identify key elements impacting the supervisory relationship and counselor development including the dynamics of the supervisory dyad and triad.
- Explain well-established counseling theories principles and techniques of counseling and their application in mental health settings and in the supervisor-trainee relationship.
- Explore factors that lead to supervisee resistance and supervisor-trainee relationship rupture.
- Describe specific remediation actions supervisors can take to repair relationships and remediate trainees.
Participants successfully completing this three-hour course will:
- Understand the elements impacting the supervisory relationship and how to build a relationship with a trainee that fosters trust and openness.
- Frame supervisory behavior in light of several factors including phases of the relationship, the supervision contract, and the supervisory dyad and triad.
- Know the factors that lead to trainee resistance and how to intervene while being mindful of the relationship.
- Complete a quiz with 70% or better demonstrating confident application and understanding of foundational and well-established counseling theories and their application in the supervisor-trainee relationship.
NBCC Program Content Requirements
Courses offered through Kate Walker Training LLC are rigorously reviewed and held to the highest standards:
- This program is directly and primarily about a topic related to the practice of professional counseling.
- Program information includes a clear statement of the program learning objectives requirement.
- This is an advanced course for licensed mental health providers and licensed mental health supervisors with a master’s or doctoral degree in counseling or related field.
- This program was designed Kate M. Walker, a licensed mental health professional with the necessary experience and knowledge in the topic(s) presented. Dr. Walker holds a Ph.D. in Counselor Education and she is a Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Supervisor.
- We provide participants with a mechanism for evaluating our programs.
- We provide participants who successfully complete the program with a certificate displaying the licensee’s name, program title, date course was completed, the number of NBCC hours awarded (for applicable programs), the name and signature of the approved continuing education provider along with the NBCC ACEP number and contact information, including mailing address, telephone number, e-mail address and website address.
- Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified.
- We keep all continuing education record of attendance on file for six years (or more) and records are available upon written request.
Continuing Education Information
This course provides three hours of continuing education in a non-interactive home study format. Home study course hours are calculated via written text (6000 words = one hour) and video (one hour = one hour).
2021 Supervisory Relationship and Counselor Development certificate will indicate:
- NBCC Hours: 3
- Supervision CE Hours: 3
Kate Walker Training LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP # 7040. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Kate Walker Ph.D., LPC-S, LMFT-S is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Kate Walker Training LLC provides continuing education for mental health providers. Always check with your licensing board before purchasing a course for professional continuing education.
- This online training is currently available in English only. It is delivered via audible narration and visual text.
- The terms ‘lesson,’ ‘lecture,’ and ‘module’ may be used interchangeably.
- The terms ‘supervisee,’ ‘trainee,’ and ‘intern,’ may be used interchangeably.
- This course must be completed 90 days from the date of purchase. Please carefully review our terms of purchase for electronic goods before you check out.
STATEMENT REGARDING COURSE RESOURCES
Kate Walker Training LLC charges a fee for online training. All of the resources used to design the course are listed within the course, along with the resource URL where available. You do NOT need to purchase the Kate Walker Training LLC course to access those resources. Kate Walker Training LLC will not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from accessing those resources, nor hinder anything the listed resources’ licenses permit.
The open-source resources we have chosen for this course are:
Unknown. (n.d.). Supervisee Bill of Rights. https://katewalkertraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Supervisees-Bill-of-Rights.pdf
Wilkinson, R. (2016). Supervisor’s Toolbox (5th ed.). Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. https://www.humentum.org/sites/default/files/UWT_Supervisors_Toolbox.pdf
Recommended Texts and Resources:
Bernard, J. and Goodyear, R. (2015). The fundamentals of clinical supervision, 5thEdition. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
Fall, M. and Sutton, J. (2004). Clinical supervision. A handbook for practitioners. Boston: Pearson Education, Inc.
Haynes, R., Corey, G., and Mouton, P. (2010). Clinical supervision in the helping professions, 2ndEdition. Virginia: American Counseling Association.
Todd, T. and Storm, C. (2014). The complete systemic supervisor: Context, philosophy, and pragmatics, 2ndEdition. West Sussex: John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.
- Lectures 8
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 3 CE Hours
- Skill level Advanced
- Language English
- Students 10
- Assessments Yes
Read this for some important info to navigate the course successfully.
If you are experiencing difficulties check here first.
The Supervisory Relationship and Counselor Development
Click the links and begin your course.
- 2021 Supervisory Relationship and Counselor Development Lesson 1: Overview
- 2021 Supervisory Relationship and Counselor Development Lesson 2: Triad and Dyad
- 2021 Supervisory Relationship and Counselor Development Lesson 3: Conflict
- 2021 Supervisory Relationship and Counselor Development Lesson 4: Working With Trainees
- 20 Questions for 2021 Supervisory Relationship and Counselor Development
Evaluation and Outro
Let us know how we did.