2021 Privacy and Security Training for Counselors and Staff is a program that helps participants understand the essential elements of maintaining the privacy and security of sensitive information and protected health information (PHI) within an interdisciplinary workplace and successfully demonstrate understanding by passing a quiz. This program includes information about the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Texas House Bill 300, and Texas Health and Safety Code Title 7 Chapter 611. In addition it will cover ethical decision-making models directly related to counseling conduct standards, practice, and supervision.
When you click ‘Buy this Course’ and complete your purchase, you will have immediate access to the course. Simply log in to your Kate Walker Training account and your course will appear in your profile.
Program Learning Objectives
The program content will:
- Explain Health Insurance Portability and Accountability (“HIPAA”) Privacy and Security Rules, and Texas House Bill 300 Privacy and Security Rules.
- Explore HIPAA identifiers that create protected health information (“PHI”).
- Introduce Texas Health and Safety Code Title 7 Chapter 611 regarding the disclosure of PHI.
- Help learners recognize situations in which confidential and protected health information can be mishandled.
- Teach practical ways to protect the privacy and security of sensitive information, including PHI.
Participants successfully completing this two-hour program will:
- Understand the differences and similarities between HIPAA and Texas House Bill 300.
- Know how to prevent the mishandling of sensitive information.
- Be able to identify situations where sensitive information is being mishandled and take appropriate next steps to protect and report.
- Gain an introduction to the limits of confidentiality according to Texas Health and Safety Code Title 7 Chapter 611 and understand appropriate next steps to protect and report.
NBCC Program Content Requirements
Courses offered through Kate Walker Training LLC are rigorously reviewed and held to the highest standards:
- This program is directly and primarily about a topic related to the practice of professional counseling.
- Program information includes a clear statement of the program learning objectives requirement.
- This is an advanced course for licensed mental health providers and licensed mental health supervisors with a master’s or doctoral degree in counseling or related field.
- This program was designed Kate M. Walker, a licensed mental health professional with the necessary experience and knowledge in the topic(s) presented. Dr. Walker holds a Ph.D. in Counselor Education and she is a Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Supervisor.
- We provide participants with a mechanism for evaluating our programs.
- We provide participants who successfully complete the program with a certificate displaying the licensee’s name, program title, date course was completed, the number of NBCC hours awarded (for applicable programs), the name and signature of the approved continuing education provider along with the NBCC ACEP number and contact information, including mailing address, telephone number, e-mail address and website address.
- Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified.
- We keep all continuing education record of attendance on file for six years (or more) and records are available upon written request.
Continuing Education Information
This course provides two hours of continuing education in a non-interactive home study format. Home study course hours are calculated via written text (6000 words = one hour) and video (one hour = one hour).
2021 PHI and Security Training: Counselors and Staff certificate will indicate:
- NBCC Hours: 2
- Supervision CE Hours: 2
- Technology CE Hours: 2
- Texas Ethics CE Hours: 2
Kate Walker Training LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP # 7040. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Kate Walker Ph.D., LPC-S, LMFT-S is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Kate Walker Training LLC provides continuing education for mental health providers. Always check with your licensing board before purchasing a course for professional continuing education.
- This online training is currently available in English only. It is delivered via audible narration and visual text.
- The terms ‘lesson,’ ‘lecture,’ and ‘module’ may be used interchangeably.
- The terms ‘supervisee,’ ‘trainee,’ and ‘intern,’ may be used interchangeably.
- This course must be completed 90 days from the date of purchase. Please carefully review our terms of purchase for electronic goods before you check out.
STATEMENT REGARDING COURSE RESOURCES
Kate Walker Training LLC charges a fee for online training. All of the resources used to design the course are listed within the course, along with the resource URL where available. You do NOT need to purchase the Kate Walker Training LLC course to access those resources. Kate Walker Training LLC will not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from accessing those resources, nor hinder anything the listed resources’ licenses permit.
American Counseling Association. (2014). ACA code of ethics. Retrieved from https://www.counseling.org/resources/aca-code-of-ethics.pdf
Health Information Privacy. (2015, August 26). Health Information Privacy. HHS.Gov. https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/index.html
Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council. (2019). Texas.Gov. https://www.bhec.texas.gov/
- Lectures 5
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 2 CE Hours
- Skill level Professional/Intermediate
- Language English
- Students 22
- Assessments Yes
Read this for some important info to navigate the course successfully.
You're probably all good here, but read it and click 'Complete' just to be sure!
Click the link and a new window will open with the course content. IMPORTANT FOR FLIP CARD SECTIONS: You must 'flip' each card for the course to register as complete.
Complete the following evaluation and receive your certificate of completion